TINY STEPS TOWARD GIANT LIFE CHANGES.
In 2013 I started experimenting sporadically with small challenges in order to make better use of my time, remove excuses, have fun and generally improve my life - one tiny step at a time.
Because of the momentum and fun, these tiny challenges quickly grew into something I did every single month. My challenges are based upon the philosophies of behavioral design:
- Prompt (something that tells me its time to do the thing)
- Action (do the small thing)
- Celebration (a small cheer or fist pump congratulating myself for doing the thing)
Each month I choose a theme and some guidelines to keep the challenge simple and achievable, and set out to cross the finish line. This is about refining the practice of finishing things. Sometimes I stumble, days have been missed, life happens. What I try to keep in mind is this quote from one of my all-time favorite movies:
"It doesn't matter if I lost this fight. All I want to do is go the distance."
-Rocky Balboa, from the movie Rocky
I keep going. I learn more, I do more, I have FUN.
With the encouragement of Brad Heintz and many others #tinychallenges is blossoming into a small, supportive community of people who get rid of excuses and DO THINGS. Check it out:
--> tinychallenges.com <--
Here are some of my favorite #tinychallenges:
- #31days31people - an exploration in writing and gratitude (Medium)
- Music Wormholes (Medium)
- #31inspirations (YouTube)
- #RandomAdventures (YouTube)
- #30days-in-between (YouTube)
- #31FortuneCookies (YouTube)
- #TalkTips (Blog)
- #NaNoWriMo2015 (Blog)
- #OpenLetters (Blog)
- Stories of Things (Blog)
- #TILfor30days (Today I Learned - Blog)